- Supports foothill Nisenan Tribe efforts to stabilize their people and reinstate federal recognition
- Provides educational opportunities for the congregation and community
- Organizes UUCM members/friends in support of the Nisenan with presence at their events
- Informs the community and invites support regarding indigenous issues and actions within California and nationwide
October 2019 UUCM Indigenous Day service. The UUCM Nisenan Project Team was honored to host Shelly Covert, Spokesperson for the Nevada City Nisenan Rancheria Tribe
Acknowledging and respecting that our community home resides on Nisenan Land, UUCM is a member of the Ancestral Homelands Reciprocity Program, setting aside money in its budget each of the last two years to support the California Heritage Indigenous Research Project. We invite you to join the program as well.
Each UUCM service includes the evolving Land Acknowledgment crafted by Shelly Covert, spokesperson for the Nevada City Rancheria Nisenan Tribe. We encourage you who are local to use it at home and in your events. Over time, let its gradual repetition settle into your awareness.
We acknowledge the Nisenan people are still here among us today, though nearly invisible after generations of erasure and exclusion from California’s history.
We understand we are on Nisenan land that was never ceded and the original tribal families have yet to recover from the genocide of their people.
As residents or visitors in Nisenan land, we support the Nevada City Rancheria Nisenan Tribe in efforts to stabilize their people as well as the campaign to restore Tribal Sovereignty through Federal Recognition.
See Shelly Covert’s most recent annual sharing at UUCM, October 10, 2021:
Learn more: Our Indigenous Resource List
- Learn about and follow what Indigenous organizations are working on
- Learn where you can contribute
- Learn where your voice can make a difference
Click HERE to access our evolving Indigenous Resource List.
For more information, or to receive Nisenan/Indigenous action alerts and event notifications via email, contact Nisenan@uugrassvalley.org