Live your values aloud, not alone!
UUCM’s active Justice Team supports the congregation’s learning and action toward a more compassionate, sustainable and just community and world. The Team oversees, supports, and helps focus UUCM’s justice initiatives, primarily through the work of UUCM’s task forces voted on by the congregation, as well as through Rapid Response opportunities, which are urgent calls for action that arise throughout the year. The Justice Team is a thinking, planning and oversight group keeping an eye on the overall picture, while the on-the-ground work of justice is done through the programs of the task forces themselves. New task forces may arise during the year as need, passion, and support surface.
Meeting in person and via Zoom on 3rd Wednesdays at 5:00pm.
Dial by your location
1 669 444 9171 US
1 669 900 6833 US
1 408 638 0968 US
Meeting ID: 912 7603 3097 #
For more information, contact Justice@uugrassvalley.org.
Rapid Response: When the time is now!
When UUCM members and friends are called to respond quickly and nimbly to injustice in areas that fall outside the work of the Task Forces, the Justice Team mobilizes a Rapid Response.
Currently, a UUCM Rapid Response requires only the agreement of the Minister and Justice Co-leaders. The Justice Team is outlining a process that will invites members to suggest action and, if sanctioned, to lead that action.
The procedure is a work in process, but will likely look something like this:
- A member who becomes aware of a justice-related event that warrants response, or a public action in which UUCM might join, contacts a designated member of the Justice Team by phone or email, identifying the need, the reason to respond, and possible responses.
- The Justice contact person clarifies the nature of the proposed rapid response with the proposer, confirming that it is time critical. The contact person seeks to quickly contact a leader of the Justice Team and the minister to request their consideration and potential approval.
- Given approval, the proposer is responsible for organizing any needed response consistent with the proposal, and the Justice Team helps to get word out to members and friends.
Check out the Task Forces
The Justice Ministry Team helps focus UUCM’s justice initiatives through the work of task forces. These are voted on by the congregation each January.
Current Task Forces are:
- Bending the Arc Toward Racial Justice Task Force
- Nisenan Project Team Task Force
- Stop the Mine Task Force
Watch for news and updates from the Justice Team!
We are hosting a Watch Party at UUCM for the national Good Trouble Congregation Celebration. Our congregation worked hard to earn this honor that helped the collective effort to reach over 2 MILLION voters. Let’s show up in force for this national celebration and official announcements of all the Good Trouble Congregations. […]